THE LLANDOGER TROW PUBLIC HOUSE, KING STREET, BRISTOL
The Llandoger Trow is a historic Public House, in King Street Bristol and dates from 1664. It is a Grade II* Listed Building. It was originally five timber framed houses of four storeys and a basement built to meet the requirements of prosperous merchants.
The building was partially destroyed by a bomb in World War II, but three of the original buildings remain. No. 5 has been the Llandoger Trow for at least two centuries.
Tradition has it that Daniel Defoe met Alexander Selkirk, his inspiration for Robinson Crusoe here, and it was Robert Louis Stevensons inspiration for the Admiral Benbow in Treasure Island. In the Victorian era the pub was associated with the Theatre Royal which is across the road, and was visited by many performers and musicians including Henry Irving.
The first floor was developed as the first Berni Inn in the 1960s, but the floors above fell into neglect and disrepair over the following thirty years.
A complete refurbishment of the building was carried out with a full width extension at the rear. Original plaster work paneling and joinery was restored. The empty upper floors were brought back into use as staff accommodation.